Hi guys! Fashion Revolution week begins today. I am Fashion Revolution student ambassador for London College of Fashion so my role is to raise awareness of the cause and get students involved. If you haven’t heard of it already, Fashion Revolution is a global movement encouraging people to unite and create a more sustainable future in the fashion industry.
Fashion Revolution- Our Mission: “We believe in fashion- an industry which values people, the environment, creativity and profits in equal measure, and it’s everyone’s responsibility to ensure that this happens.”
The organisation encourages consumers to ask brands ‘Who made my clothes?” in order to reconnect the producer and consumer which has become blurred and concealed in this complex industry. The key is transparency and getting brands to reveal their supply chains that they may have previously hidden.
In addition to this, Fashion Revolution aims to educate people of the numerous negative impacts of the fashion industry on the planet and people. They advocate valuing our clothes, minimising waste, recycling, up-cycling, second hand, vintage and boycotting fast fashion.
How to get involved:
- Post a selfie wearing your clothes inside out showing the brands label and post on social media using the hashtags #fashrev, #whomademyclothes and tag the brand
- Do a #haulternative- post a video or blog post showing ways of refreshing your wardrobe without buying new clothes. Categories include: Vintage, 2hand, swap, DIY, Love story, Broken and Beautiful etc.
- Get together with friends and hold a Fashion Revolution event- ideas include showing of the film ‘The True Cost’ or a clothes swap event- Get creative!
- Simply tell people about Fashion Revolution- the key is word-of-mouth and starting the conversation around the issues of the fashion industry
- Visit fashionrevolution.org for more information and ideas