Hey! Similarly to my last travel review on Amsterdam I thought I’d share some snaps and recommendations from my trip to Berlin. I went the week before Christmas and it was the perfect relaxing break after such a busy term at uni. I went with my bestie, Rachel and we stayed with my family who live in Vinetastraße, Berlin. We went for 5 days (2 of those spent mainly travelling) and had such a lovely time- going around the Christmas period is probably the best time to go since there’s so many beautiful Christmas markets so it’s the perfect opportunity to fit in some Christmas shopping. Be warned though, it’s just freezing around this time, so wrap up warm! It wasn’t my first time in Berlin but it was Rachel’s so we wanted to cram as much into the time we had there so she could get a real feel for the city! I’ve split my recommendations into shopping, food and places to visit so if you’re planning on taking a trip to Berlin definitely check some of them out.
Near U-Bahn Eberswalder Straße
- Broke + Schön – a boutique-style shop stocking brands such as Cheap Monday, Vagabond and some of Berlin’s young designers. The interior of the shop features gorgeous vintage furniture, flower tapestries and is split over two floors. I could have bought so much from this shop but restrained myself to purchasing just a red jumper by Sweewë Paris- I’ve been looking for something red for years and its’s the perfect rich shade!
- Fancy Nancy– a really unique shop with some great clothing, accessories and jewellery. If you’re on the lookout for a gift or something for yourself this shop has a lot to offer- my favourites were the cat purses, origami swan earrings and a beautiful checked waistcoat that I was very tempted to buy.
- Heimat Berlin– a gift shop which stocks Braintree bamboo socks, Matt and Nat vegan bags, dainty pendant necklaces and lots of other cute gifty products.
- Do you read me?– an incredible book shop with lots of eye-catching colourful covers and great reads- a must-visit!
Mauerpark, Bernauer Str
- Flea Market– a fab and very large flea market with lots of clothing, accessories, beauty, homeware, furniture and food stalls. My favourites were the stalls selling prints of black and white sketches and vintage-style maps. My cousin and Rachel also modelled some glasses shown below.
- Christmas Market– opt for Bratwurst, pretzels and Glühwein (mulled wine). Also at the Alexanderplatz Christmas Market we had Kürtőskalács which after researching are actually Hungarian but there are basically a hollow donut coated in vanilla sugar- so delicious!
- Order Schnitzel– if eating out definitely order Schnitzel and potato salad- the one I had was humongous but so tasty!
Places to visit
- Christmas Market near U-Bahn Eberswalder Straße- in comparison to the larger markets in the centre at Alexanderplatz I much preferred this smaller local Christmas market especially these beautiful star lanterns and delicious nutella crepes.
- Bauhaus Archive– really interesting to visit and definitely take the free headset as it provides lots of information on how the bauhaus movement began. The gift shop also has some great posters and products in the bauhaus style.
- Art Galleries, along Auguststraße – my Uncle, who is an artist took us around some art galleries along this street- mainly modern art which I really enjoyed.
- Clärchens Ballhaus, Auguststraße- we popped into this stunning ballroom to have a look inside- they even hold ballroom dancing in the evenings that I would love to go when I next return to Berlin.
- Brandenburger Tor and Berlin Wall, Holocaust Memorial-no need to go into detail with these 3 attractions but they are definitely worth visiting especially the Berlin Wall Memorial and the information centres alongside it.
- Precis Petite Navy Coat (originally my mum’s)
- Topshop Cream Ribbed Cropped Jumper
- Boden Navy Velvet Flared Trousers (originally my mum’s)
- New Balance Navy Trainers
- Electronic Sheep Patterned Scarf
- Accessorize Navy Gloves
- Phase Eight Cream Bobble Hat
- Vintage Striped Coat
- Urban Outfitters Blue Wash Jeans
- Doc Martin Burgundy Flats (purchased on Ebay)